How to verify income tax returns
After you complete your income tax return (ITR) for the year, if you paid more tax than your actual tax owed, you may be entitled to an income tax refund. However, you won’t get your income tax refund until the IRS processes your ITR and sends you a notice confirming it.
This notification is being sent to you in accordance with Section 143 (1) of the Income Tax Act 1961. Returns for this year are due for the 2020-21 fiscal year, with a new deadline extended from December 31, 2021.
The State Bank of India (SBI) processes the income tax refund, which is directly credited to the bank account indicated by the taxpayer in their ITR at the time of filing. Therefore, check that you have entered the correct bank account number and the correct IFS code.
In addition, the bank account must be pre-validated on the government’s new electronic income tax reporting system, and the bank account must be connected to the PAN.
How can I check the status of my tax refund?
You can track your tax refund using one of two methods:
a) the new income tax portal
b) The National Software Development Lifecycle (NSDL) website
On the new income tax portal
Follow the steps below to track the status of your tax refund on the government’s new income tax portal:
- Log into your account at www. Incometax.gov.in using your PAN as username and password.
- After logging in, select “e-file” from the drop-down menu. Select “Income Tax Returns” under the “Electronic File” option, then “View Filed Returns”.
- Review the most recent ITR. The most recent ITR submitted (if you have already submitted) for the 2020-21 fiscal year will be that of YY 2021-22. Choose “Show Details” from the drop-down menu. It will display the status of all filed RTIs after their selection. It will also tell you the date a tax refund was issued, the amount refunded, and the date any refund due for that YY was cleared.
On the TIN NSDL website
Another way to track it is by checking the status of your tax refund on the NSDL website. Keep in mind that the taxpayer can check their refund status on this website 10 days after the appraisal agent has forwarded the refund to the refund banker.
To track your income tax refund on the TIN NSDL website, follow the procedures below:
- Go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html
- Fill in your PAN data.
- Choose the appropriate valuation year for which you want to check the status of your refund. The assessment year for fiscal year 2020-21 will be 2021-22.
- Click submit after entering the captcha code. A notification will appear on your screen depending on the status of your refund.