Idaho WIC makes annual adjustment to income guidelines

The following is a press release from the Idaho Department of Health and Wellness.

Idaho’s Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) will implement new income guidelines beginning July 1 that increase household income eligibility limits to help offset increases in the cost of living. This review and adjustment takes place annually.

To be eligible for the WIC program, a person must be a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, a woman who has recently been pregnant, or an infant or child under 5 years of age. Additionally, the individual must live in Idaho, have a need that can be helped by WIC food and nutrition counseling, and have a low to moderate income.

To qualify on the basis of income, the applicant’s gross income (eg, before tax deductions) must be at or below 185% of the US poverty income guidelines. For example, under the new guidelines, a family of three can earn up to $42,606 per year; under the old guidelines, a family of three could have earned up to $40,626 a year.

If you or a family member are in categories served by WIC and are currently receiving Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, or CHIP, you are automatically eligible for income for WIC.

WIC provides qualified families with free nutritious complementary foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, juice, beans and peanut butter. WIC services also include health screenings, nutrition counseling, breastfeeding information and support, help from registered dietitians, and referrals to other services.

The average Idahoan enrolled in the WIC receives about $57 worth of healthy food per month, an increase of $12 from the previous year due to a federal increase in the monthly benefit for fresh fruits and vegetables. The result is better nutrition for Idaho families and additional profits for Idaho grocers who accept WIC transactions. There are currently approximately 30,000 people per month receiving Idaho WIC assistance.

To apply for a WIC or for more information about the WIC in your area, go to, call the Idaho CareLine at 211, or visit

Comments are closed.